Who We Are
The Friends of Cornell School is a non-profit organization, begun in 1987, whose purpose at that time was the restoration and preservation of an 1886 one-room schoolhouse. The Friends of Cornell School offer a living history program in which an actual school day at a one-room schoolhouse is recreated for area schoolchildren. Students are encouraged to dress in period costume, bring lunch pails, learn lessons the old way, and always show the proper respect to the schoolmarm. This program allows our organization to preserve the heritage that one-room schools brought to our nation.
Cornell School is a classic example of how public education functioned in Rural America in the late 20th century. This one-room schoolhouse was built in 1886 and served students until 1923. The structure was donated to the Friends of Cornell School by Tom and Gloria Miller of Alexandria, Ohio. It was moved from their property to its present location in May of 1991. Cornell School has been operating as a living history program for area schools since 1996.
Schoolmarms recreate an actual school day at a one-room schoolhouse. The students are encouraged to dress in period costume, bring lunch pails, learn lessons the old way, and always show the proper respect to the schoolmarm or schoolmaster.
Cornell School, now located on South Main Street in Johnstown, Ohio was built in 1886 near Alexandria, Ohio and was used as a school until 1923. It stood empty until the Friends of Cornell School got organized and had the building moved in 1991. It was opened to the public in 1996 and has since demonstrated to students and visitors how their forebears were taught in the days of one room schools. Donations of 19th century texts and furnishings make a visit to the school a leap back in time. McGuffey readers, quill pens, inkwells slates and a water bucket are in place just as if the students had been dismissed yesterday.