- Glithero, Patrick J. "Rural Preservation: Developing Our Perspectives." Illinois Heritage Association
- Technical Insert No. 21. May-June 1986 McCormick, Virginia E. Educational Architecture in Ohio: From One-Room Schools and Libraries to Community Education Villages
- Bial, Raymond. One-room School. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. 1999.
- Charyk John C. Syrup Pails and Gophertails [sound recording] : memories of a one-room school. 1984.
- Graves, Kerry A. Going to School in Pioneer Times. Capstone Press. 2002.
- Cohen, Barbara. Molly's Pilgrim. NY: Lothrop, 1983.
- Frey, Janet. Apple Valley School : a simulation of pioneer life in a one-room schoolhouse. 1992
- Hausherr, Rosmarie. The One-room School at Squabble Hollow.1988
- Houston, Gloria. My Great Arizona. New York: Harper Collins Publishers,1992.
- Kalman, Bobbie.
~ A One-room School. Historic Communities Series. New York: Crabtree Publishing. 1994
~ Early Schools, The Early Settler Life Series. New York: Crabtree Publishing , 1982.
~ Games From Long Ago, Historic Communities Series. New York: Crabtree Publishing , 1995.
~ 19th Century Clothing, Historic Communities
~ Schoolyard Games. Historic Communities Series. New York: Crabtree Publishing , 2001.
- McKenzie, Ellen Kindt. Stargone John.1990 ; illustrated by William Low.
- MacLachlan, Patricia. Three Names. NY: Harper Collins, 1991.
- Merwin, Decie. Schoolhouse in the woods.1949
- Newell, C. Little Schoolhouse.1958.
- Pringle, Laurence. One room school. 1998 illustrated by Barbara Garrison
- Randolph, Ryan P. Frontier Schools and Schoolteachers. 2003.
- Schelstrate, Barbara. One-room schools [sound recording].1982
- Sindledecker, Ginny Bell. Teens of yesteryear and a one room school.. 1999
- Tate, Eleanora E. Front porch stories at the one-room school (paperback 1992; illustrated by Eric Velasquez.
- Wilder Laura Ingalls. School days. 1997 ; illustrated by Renee Graef.
- Country school. 1955 Pictures by Louis Darling.
- Aldrich, Bess Streeter. A Lantern in Her Hand. New York: Grosset / Dunlap,1928.
- Garlin, Hamlin. A Son of the Middle Border. New York: Macmillan,1917.
- Giles, Janet Holt. Miss Willie.
- Marshall, Catherine. Christy. Avon, 1967.
- Clements, Grace N. I Heard School Bells, Oil Wells and Children's Laughter. Winona, MN: Apollo Books,1984.
- Cole, Camille. The Brass Bell. Lake Oswego, 2013.
- Duling, Gretchen. Oral life histories of one-room schoolhouse teachers :voices from the recitation bench.
- Falk, Bonnie Hughes. Country School Memories (Minnesota). 1986.
- Forbes, Joy. Perserverance, Pranks and Pride - Tales of the One-Room Schoolhouse.
- Kabatek, Anna B. Island Schoolmarm: Memories of One-Room Schools on the St. Mary's River. Marquette, MI: A.B. Kabatek, 1996.
- Kinkead Joyce A Schoolmarm All My Life. Personal Narratives from Frontier Utah
- Lutes, Della. Country Schoolma'am. New York Little,1941.
- Manning. Hill Country Teacher.
- Melchior, Tom. They called me teacher : stories of Minnesota country school teachers and students, 1915-1960.
- Miles, William. School Ma'm: The Story of Ellen L. Woodworth. Mt. Pleasant, MI: Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma, .
- Reiter, Joan Swallow. The Women . NY:Time-Life Books, 1978. (pages 86-95)
- Shipe, Bess Paterson. Country School Boy. Illustrations by Carol Stuart Watson. (Actual experiences at Seneca Schoolhouse in 1880's).
- Stienecker, David. A Frontier Teacher. 1994 ; illustrated by Virginia Kylberg.
- Stuart, Jesse. Thread That Runs So True. NY: Scribner, 1963.
- Tennis, Rose Hamlin. The School that Was: A Schoolmarm's Tale. Fowlerville, MI: Wilderness Adventure Books, 1990.
- Tompkins, Susie Powers. Cotton-Patch Schoolhouse. University of Alabama Press,1992.
- Walsh, Edwina. Schoolmarms: Women in America's Schools. 1995 Caddo Gap Press 3145 Geary Blvd, Suite 275 San Francisco, CA 94118. ISBN: 1-880192-14-4
- Tisha: the story of a young teacher in the Alaskan wilderness [sound recording] 1981 [Anne Hobbs]
- Webster, Emma Lucile. An Autobiography of a One-Room School Teacher: Scotch Settlement School of Henry Ford's Greenfield Village. Dearborn, MI: Webster, 1978.
- One-Room School House Publications by MT Publishing Company, Evansville, IN.
- Albers, Everett and Henke, Warren. The Legacy of North Dakota's Country Schools.
- Apps, Jerry. One-Room Country Schools -- History and Recollections from Wisconsin. Amherst Press.
- Barger, Eloise R. "Coles County Unit District Number One." class paper, Eastern Illinois University, 1951.
- Brown County, Ohio Schools of the Past. Compiled by The Brown County, Ohio Historical Society. Contact MT Publishing at 1-888-263-4702 for information on how to purchase this title, 2009.
- District #1." Master's Dissertation, Eastern Illinois University, 1977.
- Echoes From One-Room Schools: Monroe County, Indiana.
- Farquhar, Janet. Taught to the Tune. 2000.
- Fender, Joe. Greenwood School. Charleston, IL: Prairie Press, 1970.
- Fuller, Wayne E. One-Room Schools of the Middle West. University Press of Kansas.
- Harding, Thomas. One Room Schoolhouses of Arkansas As Seen Through a Pinhole. 1993.
- Henke, Warren A. The Legacy of North Dakota's Country Schools. 1997
- Hill, William James. "A Concise History of Education in Illinois with Special Reference to Coles County and Charleston Community Unit School.
- Frenz, Robert W. Historic Country Schools of McHenry County, Illinois. Sponsored by The McHenry County Historical Society. Contact MT Publishing at 1-888-263-4702 for information on how to purchase this title, 2008.
- Hittmeier, Glen E. "History of Rural Schools of Ashmore Township Community Unit District #1; Coles County, Illinois." class paper, Eastern Illinois University, 1953.
- Kaufman, Polly Welts. Women Teachers on the Frontier. Yale UniversityPress, 1984.Illustrated with portraits of several of the teachers and includes maps and pictures of old schoolhouses. Frontier Press Bookstore, (800) 772-755
- Lawrence, Donna Converse.There's No School Like an Old School: An Illustrated History of Marion County's One-Room Schools and the Marion City Schools. Order information: 740.387.1057.
- McKinney, Willis. A History of Coles County Schools, Coles County Historical Series. Charleston, IL: Coles County Historical Society, no date..
- Ohman, Doug. Schoolhouses of Minnesota. MHS Press. 2006.
- Royer, Warren . Memories of the Heart: Rural Schools of Illinois. 2002.
- Putnam County, Ohio One Room Schools. 1985.
- Wilson, Norma C. One-Room Country School: South Dakota Stories. South Dakota Humanities Foundation, 1998.
- Wilson, Marcia Gudmunsen , Editor. Rural Schools Journeys: A Legacy of Learning. Compiled by DeKalb County Historical-Genealogical Society, 2006.
- Finkelstein, Barbara. Governing the Young. (describes and discusses 19th century classrooms and includes narratives from the time, using first hand accounts to take us into the schoolrooms of the day.)
- Banard, Henry. School Architecture. New York: A. S. Barnes and Company, 1848; Columbia, NY: Teacher's College Press, 1970.
- Fuller, Wayne E. One-Room Schools of the Middle West: An Illustrated History. University Press of Kansas.
- Fuller, Wayne E. The Old Country School: The Story of Rural Education in the Middle West . University of Chicago Press.
- Glithero, Patrick J. "Rural Preservation: Developing Our Perspectives." Illinois Heritage Association Technical Insert No. 21. May-June 1986.
- Gulliford, Andrew. America's Country Schools. Washington, D.C.: Preservation Press, 1984, 1991.
- Hothem, Lar & Sue. School Collectibles of the Past. Lancaster, OH: Hothem House, 1993.
- Peabody, George. "School Days, The One-Room Schools of Maritime Canada" (Goose Lane, Fredericton, 1992) Can be ordered from George Peabody, at email@example.com.
- Westerhoff III, John H. McGuffey and His Readers. Abingdon, 1978.
- Country school legacy, humanities on the frontier [motion picture]1981 Mountain-Plains Library Association; [produced by] Photo-America ; producer, Randall Teeuwen.
- Zimmermn, Johnathan. Small Wonder: The Little Red Schoolhouse in History and Memory .Yale University Press., 2009.
- Eclectic Educational Series. Ray's Elementary Arithmetic. New York: American Book Company, 1879.
Copyright ©1998-2023 | All Rights Reserved